Air-Conditioning Coil Freeze Up
The outdoor condenser unit is not the only part of your air-conditioning system. The most critical air-conditioning component–the coil- is inside, connected to your furnace. The furnace blower passes air across the evaporator coil where air is rapidly cooled. Refrigerant absorbs heat from the air inside your home and transports it outside. This process repeats over and over again, keeping your home cool. An evaporator coil is designed to be cold. But, if the coil drops below about 40 degrees, it may become too cold and actually freeze up, turning into a frozen block of ice. Here are some reasons for air-conditioning coil freeze up…and what you should do about it.
What Might Cause My Coil to Freeze Up?
- Insufficient air flow is the most common cause. Change your air filter and allow the unit to defrost. Open all air-conditioning registers throughout the home.
- A dirty evaporator coil is a common culprit. Call Lifestyle Comfort Solutions for professional maintenance.
- Low refrigerant levels and other mechanical failures may be the cause. Is there a kink in the refrigerant line? Has the blower motor died or become out of balance? Is there a clogged filter dryer? These and other conditions, require professional diagnosis.
- Don’t run your air-conditioner when outside temperatures fall below 62 degrees.
- Let Lifestyle Comfort Solutions check your ducts for bends, leaks, and disconnected portions. Duct repair is one of the best ways to create an environment which is comfortable, safe, healthy, and energy efficient.
What Should I Do If my Unit Freezes?
To thaw out your coil, follow these two steps. Switch your thermostat to OFF and your fan to ON. This starts the coil inside your home. It may take a few hours to defrost, but don’t try to chip ice off. You can do costly damage. Our best advice is to call for professional assistance. A trained Lifestyle Comfort Solutions technician will search for what caused the problem, and check the condensate pan for build-up which may cause water damage and unpleasant odor in the home.
Systems which continually freeze up are likely warning you that it’s time to consider equipment replacement.
Need Air Conditioner Service?
Call us today at
or request service online.
Lifestyle Comfort Solutions provides professional heating, cooling, and indoor air quality services to Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Dayton, Fairborn, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Moraine, Oakwood, Spring Valley, Springboro, Troy, Vandalia, West Carrollton, and surrounding communities. Call us at 937-202-4520 or request service online today.