Seven Ways to Manage Mold in the Home
Mold is everywhere–in the air and on surfaces. Molds have been on Earth for thousands of years. Mold’s potential harmful effects increasingly have become the subject of alarming media reporting. While some concern is valid, much may be scare tactics. Here’s some basic information to help you decide what to do about mold growth in your home in Dayton, Ohio.
Mold and Your Health
Some people are sensitive to mold, while others are not. Those with mold sensitivity may experience nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing, wheezing, eye or skin irritations, headaches, fatigue, or other flu-like symptoms.
Those who are allergic to mold may experience serious respiratory distress requiring medical attention.
Fortunately, most of us suffer little ill effect from the mold which grows naturally all around us.
How Do I Know if My Home has Mold?
Mold can be a variety of colors, and may be visible to the naked eye. A musty odor is a tell-tale sign of mold growth. Mold grows where there is moisture–roof leaks, around windows, vents, and perhaps, in your heating/cooling system. Mold grows on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. It can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery. It can be carried into the home on shoes, clothing, on backpacks, or pets.
How Do I Manage Mold Growth?
- Control humidity in the home. No higher than 50%. Lifestyle Comfort Solutions can advise you on the value of mechanical dehumidification.
- Provide adequate ventilation to exhaust moisture out of the house. Here’s another area where Lifestyle Comfort Solutions can help.
- Remove visible mold with a solution of one cup bleach to one gallon of water. Remember! Never mix bleach and ammonia. It creates a deadly gas, and can kill in just moments.
- Regularly clean around the toilet, under the kitchen sink, under the water heater, around the washing machine, and closet floors with a bleach solution. If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 foot square, consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for its guide.
- Open windows to provide dry, fresh air whenever possible.
- Immediately clean all visible mold, and discard moldy items if necessary.
- Install ultraviolet technology in your heating/cooling system to kill 99% of mold spores. Lifestyle Comfort Solutions can help with this affordable, effective solution
If mold is growing in the home, you must clean up the mold and fix the moisture problem. Trust Lifestyle Comfort Solutions to guide you to solutions to address mold growth in the home. Call us today at 937.202.4520 or request service online. We’re happy to help!
Need Air Quality Service?
Call us today at
or request service online.
Lifestyle Comfort Solutions provides professional heating, cooling, and indoor air quality services to Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Dayton, Fairborn, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Moraine, Oakwood, Spring Valley, Springboro, Troy, Vandalia, West Carrollton, and surrounding communities. Call us at 937-202-4520 or request service online today.