Dangers of Vent-Free Fireplaces

Dangers of Vent-Free Fireplaces

As sweat turns to sweater in Dayton and Ohio’s Miami Valley, the cheery warmth of a cozy fire in the home is welcoming.

While vent-free fireplaces and gas logs are popular, Lisa Crosley, President of Lifestyle Comfort Solutions warns of associated dangers in this two-part blog.

You Must Deal with the By-Products of Burning Gas

Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide are all by-products of burning gas.

Without venting, these gases have no where to go but into your living space.

Manufacturers of these products are confident that the sensors built into the products maintain these gases at acceptable levels.

However, homeowners should understand that even low levels of these hazardous, potentially lethal gases, are harmful to children, pregnant women and their unborn babies, the elderly, pets, and those with respiratory problems.

Vent-less products are banned in some areas of the country because of the hazard they present.

Manufacturer instructions accompanying vent-less products frequently advise homeowners to keep a window open whenever vent-less products are in use.

Other Dangers of Vent-Free Products

  • Water Vapor.  Vent-less products which burn as little as 4 hours a day release 6 gallons of water into the home.  Moisture like this affects drywall, wood, flooring, and furniture. Mold and mildew may result, aggravating respiratory conditions.
  • Odors. Some homeowners complain of headache and flu-like symptoms associated with the distinct odor of burning gas.
  • Soot and Stains. Some vent-free products leave behind soot and stains which discolor wall coverings, both paint and paper.  Some families report the need to repaint living spaces after just one season of vent-free appliance use.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *