Is a Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Right for You?
A popular climate control option throughout the world is making its way onto America shores. The ductless, mini-split is capturing the attention of American homeowners. What is a mini-split ? What are its advantages? Its disadvantages?
What is a Mini-Split System?
A mini-split system is made up of two main components–an outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit. A conduit links the indoor and outdoor unit through as little as a 3 inch hole in the wall. At times, the outdoor unit may be located as much as 50 feet away from the wall opening, allowing for a more pleasing appearance. Mini-splits require no duct work to carry conditioned air into a space. The indoor unit generally hangs on a wall, while some may hang from a ceiling, or mounted flush with a drop ceiling. Many have a high tech sleek appearance, while others are designed to look like art work mounted on the wall.
What Advantages Do Mini-Split Systems Offer?
- Homes with hydronic (hot water heat), radiant panels, and space heaters may be a good candidate.
- Some homes, especially older ones, may have no space to install ducts needed by a traditional furnace/air-conditioner combination.
- Families with room additions lacking adequate heating/cooling from the existing comfort system may consider a mini-split system.
- Some mini-split systems allow for zoning different areas of the home to one outdoor unit. This allows homeowners to customize their comfort, and save money through climate control geared to their individual lifestyle.
Disadvantages of the Mini-Split System
- The mini-split system is significantly more expensive than a traditional system.
- Correctly sizing the unit is critical or the system won’t provide proper temperature and humidity control.
- Many homeowners dislike the appearance of the system. It’s hard to hide the unit hanging on the wall, and the outdoor unit isn’t as easily hidden as a traditional air-conditioner. Homeowners who require multiple units fear their home will look too much like a motel.
- Qualified installers and service technicians with experience may not be easy to find. Lifestyle Comfort Solutions offers technicians trained and experienced in mini-split installation and service.
Lifestyle Comfort Solutions serves its clients through innovative solutions, and technical expertise. We will gladly guide you in deciding on just the right high-performing system to meet your comfort, health, safety, and energy budget. Call Lifestyle Comfort Solutions at 937.202.4520 to talk to a Comfort Consultant today.
Need Air Conditioning Service?
Call us today at
or request service online.
Lifestyle Comfort Solutions provides professional heating, cooling, and indoor air quality services to Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Dayton, Fairborn, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Moraine, Oakwood, Spring Valley, Springboro, Troy, Vandalia, West Carrollton, and surrounding communities. Call us at 937-202-4520 or request service online today.